Snort mailing list archives

Re: LaBrea escalates event volume

From: Bill McCarty <bmccarty () apu edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 22:38:38 -0800

Hi Chris,

I spent time examining packet traces and determined that the mystery packets are, in fact, CodeRed. The strings such as "GET /dddddd" are the result of LaBrea forcing the worm to repeatedly resend the first character of the intended URI. This artifact prevents the NIDS -- and prevented me, for a time -- from recognizing the traffic as CodeRed.

I believe that the strings are CodeRed, because they consist of exactly the same characters as the initial character of the various URIs used by CodeRed. I sweep under the carpet the fact that "M" doesn't appear in the CodeRed samples I've seen, figuring that's a minor variation when a half dozen or more other letters match up just right and have roughly the proper frequencies.

Another indicator is the preference for the host with IP address x.x.x.99, which seems to me to be a result of CodeRed's imperfect random number generation.

The high volume of alerts that prompted my original posting was found to be due to NIDS rules that triggered on every packet, rather than only the SYN packets. LaBrea encourages a tarpitted host by sending it a packet once in a while, to keep the host interested. This was yielding lots of unnecessary alerts. Initially, they were so many that my log reports wouldn't run! This made it harder to figure out what was going on. Eventually, I did figure it out and revised the relevant rules to trigger only on SYN packets. Shortly thereafter, I received a helpful message from LaBrea's author, who'd astutely recognized from afar the cause of my problem.

Now, everything's working great. I really enjoy imagining those frustrated worms and would-be hackers <grin>. Today, I saw a manual attack from the same host that launched a CodeRed earlier in the day. Talk about double fun!

So, shorten my original opening to merely "I don't think." Chris gets the prize!

Cheers,