Snort mailing list archives

Re: LaBrea escalates event volume

From: Bill McCarty <bmccarty () apu edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:28:32 -0800

Hi Chris,

I don't think that the port 80 stuff is CodeRed or similar. Here's why.

When I turn off my custom rules, I don't get all that many alerts. However, I do get an occasional CodeRed. I conclude that, if the packets were CodeRed, I'd continue getting a high volume of alerts when I turn off my custom rules. But, the volume goes down by a order of magnitude. So, I figure they're not CodeRed. Does that make sense?

Looking at packet logs, I see stuff like "GET /dddddddddddddddddddddddd". I take these for intended buffer overflows. But, they generally seem way too short to do the job. Mind you, I have little experience with IIS and don't currently run any IIS boxes. So, perhaps I'm overstating its resistance to such apparently puny requests.

But, even if I'm wrong and it is CodeRed or similar traffic, aren't I seeing too many of them? BTW, they're not coming from my network neighborhood. A goodly number come from Europe or Asia/Pacific. Many of the IP addresses are not resolvable by DNS.

You're right that most of the destination hosts are mere phantoms created by LaBrea.

Thanks!