Snort mailing list archives

ICMP PING NMAP

From: Bill McCarty <bmccarty () apu edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:57:01 -0800

I've had several ICMP PING NMAP alerts the last two days. These appear to be coming from a Macintosh host on our campus. At least once, this same host has tweaked TCP/548 (Appletalk), which seems to confirm its nature.

Thing is, nmap isn't likely the source of packets coming from a Macintosh <grin>. I read the Snort signature as defining ICMP PING NMAP merely by a payload size of zero:

alert icmp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"ICMP PING NMAP";
dsize: 0; itype: 8; reference:arachnids,162; classtype:attempted-recon;
sid:469; rev:1;)

Q: Can anyone confirm the possibility of a Macintosh sending a ping with dsize of zero? If so, can anyone suggest a way to distinguish genuine nmap pings from Macintosh pings?

I can almost certainly gain access to the host in question, if doing so would help refine the signature. I attempted to do so today, but was thwarted because the host is one of about two dozen computers in a lab, none of which are labelled <sigh>.

Cheers,