Snort mailing list archives

Re: DNS portscan alerts

From: Dushyanth Harinath <dushy () symonds net>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 10:56:58 +0530

* Leigh David Heyman <leigh () ai mit edu> [020316 04:56]:

I did'nt have this problem when i used to run bind, It used to run on
the public interface though.

Of course you didn't if you were running snort on the local interface, and
bind on the public interface.  I imagine if you run bind on the local
interface you'd get the same effect

No, it doesn't , Running bind on the local LAN interface does'nt cause
any portscans from the dns servers.

How can i tell snort to ignore this portscans, I cannot list every DNS
server in the portscan-ignorehosts.

will this work?  Defining a network without your DNS server(s)

The DNS server(s) generating the portscans are not mine. Some of them
are ns.apnic.net , etc. So, whenever dnscache is making a query to those
servers, i get a portscan alert.

var HOME_NET_NODNS [$HOME_NET,!your.dns.ip/32]
then

preprocessor portscan: $HOME_NET_NODNS 4 3 portscan.log

This i have already done, i have put my DNS servers into
portscan-ignorehosts and they dont cause any alerts.

TIA
cheers
dushyanth
--
How about some patent       |  Dushyanth Harinath
on "(a+b)2 == a2+2ab+b2"    |  Archean Infotech