Snort mailing list archives

Re: DNS portscan alerts

From: Leigh David Heyman <leigh () ai mit edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:20:33 -0500

I did'nt have this problem when i used to run bind, It used to run on
the public interface though.

Of course you didn't if you were running snort on the local interface, and
bind on the public interface.  I imagine if you run bind on the local
interface you'd get the same effect

How can i tell snort to ignore this portscans, I cannot list every DNS
server in the portscan-ignorehosts.

will this work?  Defining a network without your DNS server(s)

var HOME_NET_NODNS [$HOME_NET,!your.dns.ip/32]

then

preprocessor portscan: $HOME_NET_NODNS 4 3 portscan.log

-Leigh