Snort mailing list archives

RE:"trons" Rules

From: counter.spy () gmx de
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 11:35:18 +0100 (MET)

CORRECTION:

Sorry, but I had some errors in my previous post
(Thanx for the hint, Bob ...boy am I read...)
But that should not keep you from discussing the issue of protocol analysis,
which is still unclear to me ;-)

So here is the corrected post:

Hey all,
having read the information about
TRONS
on Robert Graham's website I decided to
trigger a little discussion on protocol analysis - an issue that has been
on
my mind
for some time now:

Robert Graham is known as a protocol geek and he prays his protocol
analysis.
Alright, as far as I know snort does perform some kind of protocol
analysis.
In his document 0103cansec.ppt (to be found in the "slides" directory on
his
site)
he compares "snortlike" pattern match against  protocol analysis
IN GENERAL
- all very lucid, bene.

Now can somebody, please explain the difference between
SNORT
protocol analysis and BlackICE protocol analysis
(might be somehow difficult, as the BlackICE product, now
being integrated into RealSecure, was, still is and will
probably
forever be closed source).

I know that BlackICE detected all the NSS Group attacks, but I also know
that snort
made an excellent job as well, despite the fact, that they had a rather
outdated version.

CORRECTION: Version 1.8.1 actually WAS THE ACTUAL version at
the time of testing.

Any comments that are based on technical facts are greatly appreciated,
because this informatin  could be of great help for my diploma thesis :-)

In addition, here are some snips of the TRON page (commented by me ;-) )

"....TRONS was reverse engineered from Snort signatures.."
[snip]
big deal, its opensource! :-)

"...I didn't look at Snort source more from a politeness issue rather than
anything else..."
[snip]
Oh..., wow! ;-)

"...How does BlackICE compare to Snort?
I prefer protocol-analysis for IDS signatures over pattern-match, of
course,
which is why I chose that technology instead of pattern-match. The thing to
remember is that it is a different techique that gives you different
results.
We can argue which results most people would prefer, but it would be
foolish
to say that one technique is always better than another. In any case, this
is the wrong paper for such a discussion. "
[snip]
well...

so, lets discuss BlackICE protocol-analysis versus snort protocol-analysis
here on this list. I think this would be a proper discussion, comparing
things that are compareable ;-)

I still dont know the difference in detail! In the 0103cansec.ppt doc Mr.
Graham writes:

"What is protocol-analysis?
It is not a database of signatures!
Yes, about half the intrusions detected are based on a pattern, but it is an
exact match."

I think the difference between snort protocol analysis and BlackICE protocol
analysis
is, that snort does not decode all the "higher OSI layer protocols" that
BlackICE decodes.
As far as I know, the only application snort currently decodes is FTP.
Is this correct?

In order to anticipate any complaints or misunderstandings:
This is not criticism of Robert Grahams work or Robert Graham himself.
In the opposite, I have great respect for this man and his work and very
much
appreciate that he is always sharing his knowledge with the public.
I just would like to heat some discussion ;-)

Greetings,
D. Liesen

Have a nice weekend!
--