Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Snarf

From: James Hoagland <hoagland () SiliconDefense com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:26:10 -0800

At 2:52 PM -0800 2/21/02, Scott Taylor wrote:
If that's true....then it could be hours before
you know you've been hacked on?

SnortSnarf is not currently designed for real-time monitoring. (With some amount of work it could be made so.)

If you are concerned about immediate notification of attacks, you might set up logwatch or similar to send you e-mail or page you about some high priority event. Then use SnortSnarf every day or every couple hours or whatever to look over all your alerts.

It all depends on what your needs are. For example, are you going to have someone looking at the alerts 24/7?

In the interest of fairness, I will also mention ACID and PureSecure, which are designed for real-time monitoring.

 Or if you rotate the files will
you loose info? Does snortsnarf when run just
add the info to the already existing files in
the html area or does it replace them
completely, so everything not in the log's at
the time it's run will not be shown on the
updated page?

Each run of SnortSnarf is independent. The destination directory is not inspected until the output phase at which point it is cleared.

Best regards,

  Jim

--
|*      Jim Hoagland, Associate Researcher, Silicon Defense      *|
|*            --- Silicon Defense: IDS Solutions ---             *|