Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re: Snort Snarf

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:44:31 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Scott Taylor wrote:

            Ok, how big is to big. I'm running a p233mmx w/
            128mb ram.
            The alertfile was 2mb and the portscan.log was
            1.6K. I removed them and restarted snort. Ran
            the snortsnarf.pl and bing! It worked great.
            What kinda horse power does one need?

If you run /usr/bin/time <snortsnarf commandline here> and just leave it alone
on the big (2mb) file, you'll see how long it took.  Now consider that you are
running this from cron over the same file.  If the first run took 15 minutes,
then the second would take 15minutes + X.  The third run would be 15 + X + Y.
The fourth would be 15 + X + Y + Z....  And so on.  You only want to know what
has changed from the first run to the second, then from the second to the
third, etc.  I'm not a snarf user, but you might consider using logtail.c from
the logsentry package to help, since it only "tails" what has changed from the
last run. (http://www.psionic.com/products/logsentry.html)

Good luck.

-----
Erek Adams