Snort mailing list archives

Re: order of rules in rule files?

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:44:46 +1300

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 08:41:48PM -0600, Chris Green wrote:
I don't think I was very clear.  What I meant is that suppose there
are 5 rules that detect exploits for tcp $HOME_NET 80

uricontent: "/hi"
uricontent: "/hitme"
uricontent: "/hitme?with"
uricontent: "/hitme?with+"
uricontent: "/hitme?with+expl0its"

No matter what url you are hit with and the exploits one is the best
match, only the first one will be hit.  The end user optimization is
to avoid "dead" rules.

Ah right - makes more sense.

No. At some point in the foreseeable future, the detection engine will
be altered to do any or quickest match.  The less end user burden, the
better.

Rules are generally written with a catchall rule at the end. Please
ask further if I'm still being confusing

Nope - I'm alright now - I'm no router ;-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar

Information Security Manager
Trimble Navigation Ltd.
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417