Snort mailing list archives

Re: order of rules in rule files?

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:58:55 -0600

Marc Dreher <MarcDreher () gmx net> writes:

Hi,

I have a question on the order of the rules in the default snort rules
files. I am thinking of a way to keep track of changes made to the default rules
files. If I update the rules I want to know which rules changed.
Mostly, the rules are ordered by increasing sids, but only mostly. Is there
some higher logic behind the ordering? Do new rules to a default ruleset just
get appended to the file or are they somehow inserted into the file (grouped
with other rules of the same kind / vulnerability etc?)

Since snort cares about rule ordering and processes them in first per
port basis, it does actually matter where you put your rules.  The
linearaly progressing nature of the sids down a rule file is because
they were assigned after many of the rules were defined.

 Diff as a possibility to compare the rulefiles would be easyest,
but I am not sure if this is relyable.  Definitly relyable would be
to sort the rules in each file by sid and then compare. Do I break
the above mentioned higher logic if doing that :-)

The higher logic is

"GET A" should be checked before "GET"   so that the first one doesn't
catch all the instances.
--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Eschew obfuscation.