Snort mailing list archives

AW: (Snort-users) Snort on Checkpoint Firewall-1

From: <sandro.poppi () wacker com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 07:27:00 +0200

I suppose Checkpoint uses a highly customized kernel (well it does for Nokia
appliance, so this is just a guess), therefor stateful inspection takes place
before any other tool could capture packets resulting in that behaviour. As
stated before just a guess.

I would suggest using an own snort box in front of the firewall because
a) you don't get probs with the firewall when snort for any reason has probs
b) of performance issues
c) I believe running as less services as possible is the right choice for a
firewall

So long,
Sandro

possible to examine checkpoint binaries? :)