Snort mailing list archives

Re: Capturing Packets on Demand

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 14:09:45 -0500

"Migus, Adam" <Adam_Migus () NAI com> writes:

Folks,
I'm sure this question has probably been asked many times before but
a quick scan of the FAQ revealed nothing so I'll ask again.
What I want to do is this:
For a given rule when the rule is triggered I want to log in tcpdump

Tagging in 1.8.1 is what you want.

add tag: session, 100, seconds; to whatever rule you want to capture
for the next 100seconds.

format that packet and each subsequent packet until the connection is
terminated.  If possible I'd also like it if each time the rule was
triggers it would log the binary data to separate logfiles so that
each file contained only one trace.  The second part is icing on the
cake and it not essential.

No icing unless you want the prinatble type view.

--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
A watched process never cores.