Snort mailing list archives

Re: ethernet card woes and advice

From: Phil Wood <cpw () lanl gov>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 08:20:33 -0700

Do you run any other applications that might put the interface into or
out of promiscuous mode around the time you notice the change?

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 01:48:38AM +0000, Wayne Ringling wrote:

 I set up a new snort box and am having trouble keeping the eth1 card in
promiscuous mode.  It will run along for a day or two no problem then
just drop out all of a sudden and then snort stops.  I went threw
archives and really didin't find anything to nail it down other than
maybe the card is not supportted well.  The card I am using now is a SMC
9432TX.  I have two of them installed in the box but eth0 is assigned a
internal lan ip and eth1 is not assigned one at all.  I just use
"ifconfig eth1 up" to sniff in stealth mode.  So I guess now I should
try some other eth cards.  But I have several to choose from and really
could use some advice in which one might work the best to maybe avoid a
long trial and error period.  Heres what I have and can use.

 Davicom - DM9101F
 RealTek - RT8029
 RealTek - RT8139
 SMC - EzNet EN5038
 MPX - EN5038

I also have some ISA cards but the current system doesn't have any ISA
slots in it.  I look for ward to your advice.

TIA

Wayne R.

--
Phil Wood, cpw () lanl gov