Snort mailing list archives

ethernet card woes and advice

From: Wayne Ringling <wayne () tbnets com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 01:48:38 UTC

 I set up a new snort box and am having trouble keeping the eth1 card in
promiscuous mode.  It will run along for a day or two no problem then
just drop out all of a sudden and then snort stops.  I went threw
archives and really didin't find anything to nail it down other than
maybe the card is not supportted well.  The card I am using now is a SMC
9432TX.  I have two of them installed in the box but eth0 is assigned a
internal lan ip and eth1 is not assigned one at all.  I just use
"ifconfig eth1 up" to sniff in stealth mode.  So I guess now I should
try some other eth cards.  But I have several to choose from and really
could use some advice in which one might work the best to maybe avoid a
long trial and error period.  Heres what I have and can use.

 Davicom - DM9101F
 RealTek - RT8029
 RealTek - RT8139
 SMC - EzNet EN5038
 MPX - EN5038

I also have some ISA cards but the current system doesn't have any ISA
slots in it.  I look for ward to your advice.

TIA

Wayne R.