Snort mailing list archives

RE: Antwort: RE: Snort-Machine = Security Hole?

From: "Crow, Owen" <Owen_Crow () bmc com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:10:38 -0500

Lack of a default gateway is another obstacle, but not insurmountable if you
have root on the vulnerable box.  Most modern worms attempt multiple methods
of getting back to their masters, from direct connection to finding another,
better connected system to compromise.

All of the above rests on the possibility that an attacker can squeeze
enough instructions into a buffer overflow exploit to actively continue the
compromise despite being cut off from the Internet.  I haven't seen it yet,
but I'm sure we will in the next 5 years.

I agree cutting send wires protects from all known attacks.  I'm attempting
to protect against PFTF attacks (paranoid-fantasy, theoretical-future :).

Owen