Snort mailing list archives

RE: Configuration issue, Part II

From: "John Berkers" <berjo () ozemail com au>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 22:47:11 +1000

I believe that this particular issue only applies to PPP interfaces.
Ethernet sniffing works quite fine from behind an ipchains firewall.  That's
exactly the way I have a couple of sensors configured, and I get traffic on
a completely blocked interface.

It is a tad confusing when different interface types exhibit different
behaviour with respect to promiscuity.  Promiscuity doesn't really apply in
the case of PPP since by definition only traffic intended to go over a PPP
link will arrive at a PPP interface.

Now where's that coffee....

regards,

John Berkers

I try to take life one day a at a time,
but sometimes several days attack me at once.