Snort mailing list archives

Re: Configuration issue, Part II

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 07:30:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, John Sage wrote:

Let's see...

*rummages around in logs*

[...snip...]

<same sorta crap goes on for hours...>

Realize, again, that this is snort and ipchains running on the same box.

I think that's the key thing here...  If it's on the same box, it should be
seen by snort, whereas if it's behind the firewall, it won't.

Dialup, ppp...

Command line:

snortREL -b -i ppp0 -c /usr/local/snort-1.8.1-RELEASE/snortREL.conf &

*Gack*  Now that I really think about it, I do recall Marty or Dragos going
into a lengthy discussion on this.  Same box, OK.  Seperate and behind, bad.

I'm such a gimp.  Thanks for the correction John!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy
TheAdamsFamily.Net