Snort mailing list archives

Re: Beginner w/ IDS and snort

From: Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands () minmail net>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:00:06 +0200

On Thursday 23 August 2001 8:43 pm, Wesley Eddy wrote:

Perhaps I'm missing something or am just a cranky old fart,

no reason for this to be a binary choice

but I'd really  like to know why there exists a desire to run snort on
Windows.  Could  someone please enlighten me?

Some of my customers (usually the military/government ones) insist on it out
of some strange desire to standardise and possibly to have an os and
interface that they are comfortable with and understand.

Any o/s can have the risks minimised, we all know that, it is easier with
some o/s, that is also undoubtedly true.  Personally I think if the man is
most comfortable with securing Windows, he should stick with it (if the
performance of snort on Windows is up to it)  he is way more likely to do a
Bad Thing (tm) with an unfamiliar o/s.

Alternatively, I would enlist the assistance of someone who does know the
linux / bsd / whatever platform and get them to give a hand to male sure he
avoids the above mentioned Bad Thing.