Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re: Snort New Feature Request

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 20:00:21 +1200

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 10:36:58AM -0400, Martin Roesch wrote:
Hi Renaud,
     Snort doesn't use tcpdump, it's a stand alone sniffer/IDS program.
Doing real time SSL decryption would be extremely computationally
expensive and isn't likely to be implemented (by me) any time soon since
it would be useful on only low bandwidth/small networks.

Too right. As such a feature would only be of use on networks where the IDS
has access to the private keys of the SSL servers involved, I'd say it's the
wrong approach anyway.

Much better to terminate your SSL sessions on a SSL-proxy, and have your IDS
read the non-encrypted data that falls out the back - no extra computational
load on the IDS at all!

That said, if you wanted to code up such a preprocessor I'd be glad to
include it!

Well, you could configure snort to save to a tcpdump-format file, and run
ssldump over it at your leisure :-) Hmmm, I wonder if that could be turned
into a near-realtime process, with the end-result feeding back into snort?
Separate shell-script app of course...

--
Cheers

Jason Haar

Unix/Special Projects, Trimble NZ
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417