Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort New Feature Request

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:36:58 -0400

Hi Renaud,
     Snort doesn't use tcpdump, it's a stand alone sniffer/IDS program.
Doing real time SSL decryption would be extremely computationally
expensive and isn't likely to be implemented (by me) any time soon since
it would be useful on only low bandwidth/small networks.

That said, if you wanted to code up such a preprocessor I'd be glad to
include it!

     -Marty

Renaud Lemble wrote:

Hi,
I want to do a suggestion :

Why not using ssldump in order to replace tcpdump in snort ?
We could decode encrypted protocols if snort has a copy of servers keys.

A preprossesor could be coded to do that.
A config file could be:

preprocessor ssl_decode: server1_ip port1 certif1.pem
preprocessor ssl_decode: server2_ip port2 certif2.pem

I think this will be a very interresting option. I know a lot of people
who are
searching an option like this one.

and I think no IDS do that at this time.

What do you think about this idea ?

--
Renaud LEMBLE