Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort woes

From: Jim Starke <jstarke () ptd net>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 18:21:16 -0400

Jed Pickel wrote:

To determine of the rules are the issue -- test with a rule that you
know will work.

   alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"TCP traffic";)

I added that rule to the virus.rules and it doesn't cause any additions to the mysql database.

Maybe this is a clue for someone, I removed the -p so that eth1 went into promiscius mode and it did log a few icmp packets to the database for a few of my neighbors. It appears that the ability for snort to log to mysql is working ok. It just did not add any tcp or udp traffic to the database and I browsed several websites just to check it out and my neighbors were quite busy either browsing or downloading something.

However, I watched several code red probes go right by it and they never got logged.

Since I had the icmp packets in the database, I went ahead and installed Acid and have it working now.

--
http://www.jcsmall.com/homepage