Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort woes

From: "J. C. Woods" <drjung () sprynet com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 14:17:57 -0500

Jim Starke wrote:

Phil Wood wrote:

 >Replace "log" with "alert" in the output database: conf specification

 > Also, I take it when you go to the ACID web interface, that all looks
 > good with the exception that all counters are zero?

I replaced "log" with "alert" and still no luck. I've double checked
that my firewall isn't blocking the http port accidently. I see the code
red entries being entered in my http log. But still nothing is going
into the mysql database. I ran snort with -v to verify that it is
actually seeing packets.

Here is a code red II connection that didnt' get logged. Maybe my code
red rules are incorrect? I copied and pasted them right off of
incidents.org though.

I would, if I were in your situation, try setting up the snort conf
file, and starting snort with the appropriate switch, to see if I could
just log alerts to a syslog process. This might provide you with some
insight at where data is getting lost. It could just be a means of
trouble-shooting.

drjung

--
J. Craig Woods