Snort mailing list archives

Re: SNORT Binary Core Dumps

From: Joe McAlerney <joey () SiliconDefense com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 12:01:04 -0700

Hi Timothy,

You may be experiencing an instability issue that exists in the initial
releases of Snort 1.8.  You may want to try the latest version in the
CVS tree, or download the most recent Beta from this URL:

http://www.snort.org/files/snort-1.8.1-beta6.tar.gz

On a side note, when you are experiencing this type of repeated
behavior, it's often useful to run Snort in GNU's debugger, gdb (if
possible) to determine the place where the program is crashing.  This
will help the developers in pinning down the problems.

# gdb snort
(gdb) run <your snort options>

Kind regards,

-Joe M.

--
|   Joe McAlerney     joey () silicondefense com   |
| Silicon Defense - Technical Support for Snort |

Timothy Barhorst wrote:

ON a RH Linux 7.1 Box my Snort 1.8 binary will core dump and die on an
irregular basis.

Sometimes it dies after 10 minutes and sometimes it can be hours - but it
always dies.

I have tried different conf files and it seems to make no difference. I have
also observed this with the RPM binary and with one compiled from source.

Any help would be appreciated.