Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort dumps core on Solaris 8

From: william.c.gercken () census gov
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 14:21:12 -0400

Tom,

Make sure you turn off the stream3 preprocessor in your conf file. If you
are seeing AVL messages thats where it is probably coming from. (I think
Marty recommended using the stream2 in the mean time.)

Regards,
-bill

                    Tom Kyle <tom () eos umsl edu>

                    Sent by:                             To:     snort-users () lists sourceforge net

                    snort-users-admin@lists.sourc        cc:

                    eforge.net                           Subject:     Re: [Snort-users] Snort dumps core on Solaris 8

                    06/07/2001 12:40 PM

Hrm.  I just grabbed the latest snort beta tarball, and it's coring as
well.  But at least it does it within a few minutes.

Upon startup, I get hundreds of "freeing AVL node" messages and then
after about a minute or so snort complains that "max nodes reach, data
is not inserted" after which it segfaults and dumps core.

Whee.

Tom

Tom Kyle wrote:

In my snort.conf, I have defrag, http_decode, portscan, and
portscan-ignorehosts enabled as preprocessors.  No output plugins are
enabled.

Running it in the foreground (no -D), it complains of a Bus Error.
Checking other projects' lists, I noticed some complaints about the
optimization routines in gcc 2.95.x on Solaris producing similar
problems, so I compiled snort with -O0 (no optimization), rather than
the default -O2.  It's been running for over two hours now without
coring, so I think that this might have done the trick.

Thanks for the input,

Tom

Thomas Whipp wrote:

I've been running Snort for about 2 weeks with no
instability on an Ultra 5 with Solaris 8, I've also tested
it on Solaris 8 on a Netra T1 and Netra X1 without
problems... what pre-processors/logging options do you have
enabled?

        Tom