Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort dumps core on Solaris 8

From: Tom Kyle <tom () eos umsl edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:40:56 -0500

Hrm.  I just grabbed the latest snort beta tarball, and it's coring as
well.  But at least it does it within a few minutes.

Upon startup, I get hundreds of "freeing AVL node" messages and then
after about a minute or so snort complains that "max nodes reach, data
is not inserted" after which it segfaults and dumps core.

Whee.

Tom

Tom Kyle wrote:

In my snort.conf, I have defrag, http_decode, portscan, and
portscan-ignorehosts enabled as preprocessors.  No output plugins are
enabled.

Running it in the foreground (no -D), it complains of a Bus Error.
Checking other projects' lists, I noticed some complaints about the
optimization routines in gcc 2.95.x on Solaris producing similar
problems, so I compiled snort with -O0 (no optimization), rather than
the default -O2.  It's been running for over two hours now without
coring, so I think that this might have done the trick.

Thanks for the input,

Tom

Thomas Whipp wrote:

I've been running Snort for about 2 weeks with no
instability on an Ultra 5 with Solaris 8, I've also tested
it on Solaris 8 on a Netra T1 and Netra X1 without
problems... what pre-processors/logging options do you have
enabled?

        Tom