Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: informIT: Building versus Breaking

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 13:37:51 -0400

Hi Steve,

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Steven M. Christey
<coley () linus mitre org> wrote:

While I'd like to see Black Hat add some more defensive-minded tracks, I
just realized that this desire might a symptom of a larger problem: there
aren't really any large-scale conferences dedicated to defense / software
assurance.  (The OWASP conferences are heavily web-focused;
I believe OWASP is moving towards Application Security in general. At
the chapter meetings I attend, we were told the acronym is probably
going to be changed to "Open Web and Application Security Project".

Dept. of Homeland Security has its software assurance forum and working
groups, but those are relatively small.)
Homeland Security also has the HOST program, which partners with
industry, http://www.cyber.st.dhs.gov/host/. I'm just mentioning it
because its seems to be a bit more than a [low volume] forum.

If somebody built it, would anybody come?
If the prices is right ;)

Jeff