Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: "Building" conferences (was: informIT: Building versus Breaking)

From: Gary McGraw <gem () cigital com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 15:52:25 -0400

hi sc-l,

This minor flame war reminds me of the '80s!  Hurray.

I have worked hard to inject software security (the building kind) into two conferences:  The first was the SD West/SD
East set of shows where I started a software security track, did a keynote, invited Schneier to speak, etc.  The track
was a great success as were the "big talks", but the shows were killed when IDC went down (or was absorbed by UBC).
Software Development magazine disappeared or was absorbed into Dr Dobbs at the same time and we had a software security
column going there too.  Alas.  The second involves working on making the RSA Conference "application security" track
as strong as possible (and about building versus breaking).  I am on the PC of RSA for the second year running.  This
will be a multi-year project, I'm sure.

This doesn't really count, but we have a BSIMM Conference every year as well where the 42 companies participating in
the BSIMM project get together to talk software security initiative shop talk.   There are no plans to make that into a
public conference.

gem