Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft SDL report card

From: Andy Steingruebl <steingra () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 10:46:06 -0700

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Ben Laurie <benl () google com> wrote:

Which is why I am interested in and devoting most of my time now to
capability systems.

Ben,

Is your work focused on the technical bits of this, or the human
interaction pieces?  Seems to me that much of the work on technical
implementations of capabilities, fine-grained permissions, MAC, etc.
have been worked out repeatedly over time and we've never come up with
very usable systems.  Or ones that stay usable over time....

Try setting the permissions for an application when you install it, or
figure out whether it is asking for more permissions than it really
needs, etc?

Thoughts?

- Andy