Secure Coding mailing list archives

Where Does Secure Coding Belong In the Curriculum?

From: floodeen at gmail.com (Rob Floodeen)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:02:30 -0400

Gary wrote:
"He and I discuss the notion of education versus training at length"

And I don't want to bring up the discussion of the difference, however
it does get me to think.

In CS, we do a lot of Math, but programming is not like Math.  Math is
easy to verify if it is done correctly. But in programing what does
correctly mean?

So it has to be taught and incorporated in it's own way.

I think a way ahead should consider the following:
  1. the instructional staff reads all the code, all the time  (But
think of how long this would take)
  2. a formal method for deducting points from a properly working but
incorrectly constructed program (a "Show your work" secure coding
equivalent)
  3. a capability to verify and reinforce good practices consistently
and continually

Of course we can teach a class on best practices, things not to do,
etc. etc.  But how do we continually reinforce it throughout a
curriculum or even a career?

-Rob Floodeen