Secure Coding mailing list archives

quick question - SXSW

From: gunnar at arctecgroup.net (Gunnar Peterson)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:49:23 -0500

I agree this is a big issue, there is no cotton picking way that the
security people are solving these problems, it has to come from the
developers. I put together a track for QCon which included Brian Chess
on Static Analysis, John Steven on Threat Modeling, and Jeff Williams on
ESAPI and Web 2.0 security. The presentations were great, the audience
was engaged and enthusiastic but small; it turns that it is hard to
compete with the likes of Martin Fowler, Joshua Bloch, and Richard
Gabriel. Even when what they are talking about is some nth level
refinement and what we are talking about is all the gaping holes in the
previous a-m refinements and how to close some of them.

http://jaoo.dk/sanfrancisco/tracks/show_track.jsp?trackOID=73

-gp

Kenneth Van Wyk wrote:
Ben,

Your point is a good one -- the software security community needs to be
vigilant in reaching out to developers and spreading "the word".

FWIW, some dev conferences have done this.  I spoke at SD West in 2006,
and there was a significant security track there.  Still, it'd be great
to see that sort of thing at more dev-specific conferences.

Cheers,

Ken van Wyk
SC-L Moderator