Secure Coding mailing list archives

Microsoft Pushes Secure, Quality Code

From: romain.gaucher at nist.gov (Romain Gaucher)
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:39:40 -0400

Hi Steven,
I'm (with Vadim Okun) currently doing some research and prototype
development in that direction. We are actually counting the number of
diffused inputs (diffuse in a sense of affectation to other variables,
even with filter application, etc.) going through sinks.

We are working on PHP code only for now since we have to work pretty
much from scratch (using yaxx in order to generate the AST), but we
started to do evaluation of real code (wordpress, mediawiki, dotclear,
joomla etc.). We also plan to try different combination of possible
metrics, and see the correlation between them.

But well, the main problem with such a metric is that's it's strongly
related to how the programmer is working:
- Is it better to have lots of different variables that are a variation
of a single input? I thought not...
- Is it better to have localized inputs in the source code? I think yes...
- Shall we count the number of classes, the Object orientation of the
code, the number of functions... also?

These are some questions that we are currently working one. If you guys
have some ideas about that or comments, I would really appreciate :)

Romain
http://rgaucher.info

Steven M. Christey wrote:
Interesting that attack surface isn't included, given that Microsoft was
one of the earliest advocates of attack surface, a metric that is likely
strongly associated with the number of input-related vulnerabilities.
It's probably hard to do perfectly, though, especially if any third-party
APIs are involved.

Are there any tools out there that try to measure attack surface?  Has
anybody had any experience in trying to apply it?

- Steve