Secure Coding mailing list archives

Darkreading: Secure Coding Certification

From: James.McGovern at thehartford.com (McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT))
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 09:55:07 -0400

Gary, I think this test will miss for other reasons including but not limited to:

1. ONLY consultants and vendors have jumped on the bandwagon. Other IT professionals such as those who work in large
enterprises have no motivation to pursue.

2. The target price for the exams will be an impediment as many folks who can't get reimbursed for taking them will not
bother.

3. It needs to be more language agnostic. Folks who code in Smalltalk, Ruby or scripting languages should not be
treated as second class citizens

4. I would not measure "experience" but desire to pursue knowledge. Experience over time can get static. How many of us
know a COBOL programmer who has had one years of experience twenty times.