Secure Coding mailing list archives

Ajax one panel

From: crispin at novell.com (Crispin Cowan)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 21:33:33 -0700

Gary McGraw wrote:
Btw, bill also said they tried twice to build an OS on java and failed both times.  We both agree that a type safe OS
will happen one day.

Did he ever articulate what happened to these OS's? I recall a
presentation at OSDI 1996 by a Sun executive talking about JavaOS and
the spiffy new thin clients that Sun was going to introduce. He talked
about implementing the TCP/IP stack in pure Java, even with the problems
of type safety in marshalling raw data.

I had the impression that JavaOS failed for marketing reasons, not
technical. But that impression was formed from hearing the OSDI
presentation that described implementing JavaOS in the past tense.

So what was the real reason?

Crispin
--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.                      http://crispincowan.com/~crispin/