Secure Coding mailing list archives

Question about the terms "encypt" and "secure"

From: band at acm.org (William L. Anderson)
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 12:35:23 -0500

Today's NYTimes has an article about "piggybacking" on open wireless
networks and what some people think about it and what some are doing
about it. The link is:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/05/technology/05wireless.html
(subscription may be req'd)

One question popped up for me when I read the following sentence:

"For the Brodeurs in Los Angeles, a close reading of their network's
manual helped them to finally encrypt their network."

My question is whether it's more accurate to say "secure their network"
rather than "encrypt". I'm not clear myself about the meaning of these
terms; I think of encryption as being one way to make a network secure.

And if there is a substantive difference in these terms, then I'd like
to understand it. I believe that a better understanding of security
would help ordinary users take more secure actions. I'm an optimist.

-Bill Anderson