Secure Coding mailing list archives

Question about the terms "encypt" and "secure"

From: drwachd at sandia.gov (Wachdorf, Daniel R)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 08:04:11 -0700

I think it's important to understand the difference between encryption
and security (or being secure).  Encryption is a tool, being secure is a
state.

Think of encryption as a lock on a door.  Putting a lock on a door
doesn't necessarily make your house any more secure.  If you leave your
windows open or leave your key under the doormat your not really any
more secure.  Even if you don't leave you windows open and have a key
lying around, some one can always break the door down or our force
themselves in as you enter or exit.  Encryption functions much the same
way - it's a tool.  If used properly, it can help to secure your system.

Unfortunately, using encryption rarely translates into having a secure
system.  WEP, the first wireless encryption protocol, has been
vulnerable for a long time (it's pretty much worthless).  WPA, the
successor to WEP, is also vulnerable to attack if you have a weak
encryption key.  Even if you were sure that the protocol to encrypt your
networks works, an attacker could try to steal the key or brute force
it.  Then there is the issue of client security - which brings up a
whole different set of security problems.

Clicking on a few check boxes and setting a key to a wireless network
may encrypt the traffic between the clients and the WAP, but that
doesn't mean your network is any more secure.

-dan