Secure Coding mailing list archives

Mobile phone OS security changing?

From: "Kenneth R. van Wyk" <Ken () KRvW com>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 14:06:31 +0100

Greetings,

I noticed an interesting "article" about a mobile phone virus affecting
Symbian-based phones out on Slashdot today.  It's an interesting read:

http://it.slashdot.org/it/05/04/06/0049209.shtml?tid=220&tid=100&tid=193&tid=137

What particularly caught my attention was the sentence, "Will mobile OS
companies, like desktop OS makers, have to start an automatic update system,
or will the OS creators have to start making their software secure?"  Apart
from the author implying that this is an "or" situation, it's something that
many of us have been saying for a very long time.  (See my/Mark Graff's
related op-ed from over a year ago at:
http://www.securecoding.org/authors/oped/feb132004.php)

Cheers,

Ken van Wyk