Secure Coding mailing list archives

re: Why Software Will Continue to Be Vulnerable

From: ches () lumeta com (Bill Cheswick)
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 20:34:16 +0100

Here's a depressing survey

I found it utterly unsurprising.  The bad guys almost never erase hard drives, or
do other terribly inconvenient things to the machines they own.  They simply
run in the background, mostly, and the users don't understand the issues.

My father has repeatedly asked why he should care that his computer is totally
owned.  I've told him that his CPU engine is blowing blue smoke all over the Internet,
but that doesn't help.

An outbreak of user-obvious malware might change the equation, but I am not suggesting
that someone run the experiment.

ches