Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Why Software Will Continue to Be Vulnerable

From: Michael Silk <michaelslists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 12:52:30 +0100

On 5/2/05, Kenneth R. van Wyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Michael Silk wrote:
I honestly don't believe that the consumers will _EVER_ care, and I
don't believe that should have to. At most maybe they should just need
to keep an eye out for a sticker, or star-rating (government approved)
or something. But as you say, 'security' is 'hard to measure', so an
approach like that won't work.

As the saying goes, give the consumer the choice between security and
dancing pigs, and they'll pick dancing pigs every single time.  There's
probably more than just a grain of truth to that.

I would too; I've never seen a dancing pig ... :)

Yet, despite that pessimistic outlook -- and the survey that forked this
thread -- I do think that companies are demanding more in software
security, even though consumers are not.  I'm not aware of surveys that
directly address that, but it sure seems obvious to me that they are.

Demanding more maybe, but getting charged for it too... so the problem
is still there: security as a 'feature'. 'Security' needs to become a
baseline, just like any other programming construct (maths, ...) But
anyway, ...

Here's to wishful thinking, anyway!

Agreed!

-- Michael