Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Credentials for Application use

From: Michael Silk <michaelslists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 19:17:15 +0100

If you are just talking about a password to access a db, the 'typical'
approach (at least the approach I use) is just to store that password
in the code/config file. You may like to add a layer to that by
encrypting it in some config file, and requiring a 'decryption'
(initialisation) of the 'server' to take place, where the key is
entered and the db password is kept in 'application' memory until the
next reset, etc.

But, if you want to use the db resource manage permissions for various
users AS WELL as your app logic (i.e. some redundant security system;
[which is good]) then you'll need to create sql/whatever accounts for
each user, obviously.

Depends what you want, I guess. I think the answer to your question is
that the password is stored in a config file.

-- Michael