Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: ACM Queue article and security education

From: ljknews <ljknews () mac com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 13:48:14 +0100

At 1:02 PM -0700 7/1/04, Blue Boar wrote:
ljknews wrote:
I think it will be properly considered when the most strict portion
of the software world is using language X.   I have used many
programs where the flaws in the program make it clear that I care not
one whit about whether the authors of that program have opinion about
anything I might use. They are simply not competent, either as
individuals or else as an organization.

By "most strict portion", do you mean people that care most about correct
code, proofs, and such?

And organizations that hire the people you describe below to test the
software they build.

I don't deny that the bulk of the heavy lifting will be done by people
well-qualified to do so.  However, I'm of the school of thought that
certain types of people who like to break things, and whose chief skill
is breaking things, will always have a decent shot at finding a problem.
There are people who couldn't build it, but they can sure break it.

You don't typically get their attention until something is really,
really popular.

Lots of people bring their attention to issues they are paid to test.
--
Larry Kilgallen