Politech mailing list archives

FC: Business Week's Salkever: Let's profile airline passengers

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:37:26 -0700

Some history, from an article I wrote 2.5 years ago:

   WASHINGTON -- A US$2.8-billion monitoring system championed by Vice
   President Gore will use computer profiles to single out airline
   passengers for investigation and scrutiny.
   Airlines will use a secret algorithm to compare travelers' personal
   data to profiles of likely terrorists, according to a new proposed
   federal regulation. Other travelers will be chosen at random. [...]

----