Politech mailing list archives

FC: Australian anarchist hopes to further Assassination Politics

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 17:41:03 -0400

   Online Cincy Cop Threats Probed
   By Declan McCullagh (declan () wired com)
   2:00 a.m. May 15, 2001 PDT

   WASHINGTON -- Ohio police are investigating alleged threats posted to
   the website of a journalists' collective directed against Steven
   Roach, the policeman whose shooting of an unarmed black man led to
   riots in Cincinnati last month.

   A Hamilton County, Ohio prosecutor has sent the Ohio Valley
   Independent Media Center (IMC) a subpoena for any records relating to
   a post last week titled "Steve Roach, dead man walking."

   The only problem: The admitted author of the post, a self-proclaimed
   anarchist who uses the alias proffr () fuckmicrosoft com, lives in rural
   central Victoria, Australia.

   In a telephone interview, "proffr" said he is trying to further the
   ideas of Jim Bell, author of the controversial Assassination Politics
   essay who was convicted in April of two counts of threatening federal
   officials.

   Bell's essay, written about five years ago, is a thought experiment
   describing a system designed to intimidate lawless police and
   politicians by outlining a method through which they could be
   assassinated. Proffr calls his version Operation Soft Drill, a term
   Bell also used, and says he wants to intimidate police and corporate
   polluters into respecting human rights.

   "I'm here out in the open," proffr said. "I'm putting forth the basic
   James Bell dream, which is that people can put forth freedom on the
   Internet. This is a tool that was lying on the ground and I picked it
   up."

   [...]