Politech mailing list archives

FC: More on privacy as general-purpose bludgeon and the draft

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 11:00:37 -0400

**********

Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 00:24:41 -0400
To: declan () well com
From: James Moyer <james () moyer com>
Subject: Re: FC: Privacy as general-purpose bludgeon: Ditch the draft!

On a side note Declan, there may be much more about the connection between the Draft and privacy than meets the eye.

I work on privacy issues here in Ohio...and my specialty is driver's license privacy.

During my research on these issues, I found out that the Ohio General Assembly made the most changes to driver's license issuance in September 1967. Within days of each other, two bills were passed, one to collect Social Security Numbers for driver's licenses (which kicked in late 1967) and the other to mandate the color photograph on Ohio driver's licenses (effect 1/1/69. I think the legislation had the delay so that the Deputy Registrar offices could get the photographic equipment.)

What's strange to me is that there was virtually no opposition to these bills. The SSN requirement bill passed both the house and senate unanimously, with no opposition during committee hearings. (May I remind you that SSN cards at that time still had "Not For Identification Purposes" printed on them?) The photograph requirement passed the senate unanimously, and passed the house with only four "no" votes. I'm fascinated that these two bills--which had a huge effect on privacy issues, prior to this time there simply was no such thing as an "ID" card--passed so easily.

One theory is that it all has to do with the draft. The SSN collection and photographic license had more to do with decreasing draft dodging than anything else. I think you shall find that other states had similar actions right about the same time period (and those states that didn't either had lots of objectors or large segments of the population that didn't drive...Vermont and New Jersey still issue non-photographic driver's licenses for instance. (Well New Jersey less than before...but still.))

At least, that's my theory for right now. Perhaps others will have better theories.

James Moyer
President, Buckeye Privacy Coalition