Politech mailing list archives

FC: Why are ICANN-crats talking about evicting .org owners?

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 12:07:17 -0500

This is very dangerous terrain for ICANN to enter. If ICANN forcibly evicts owners of dot-org domains, any remaining goodwill it has in the Internet community will evaporate. It -- and perhaps the Commerce Department -- will also be exposed to litigation, all for a proposal with uncertain benefits, and one that is being floated approximately five years too late.

This in reference to:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01774.html
Icann indicated that it wants "org" Web addresses reserved only for
nonprofit organizations "after some appropriate transition period," a
restriction that hasn't been enforced in recent years. Details haven't been
worked out, though one Icann official suggested that current "org" Web sites
may be allowed to continue regardless of their affiliation with nonprofits.

Also, Michael Froomkin emails me noting that icannwatch.org has been relaunched.

-Declan