Politech mailing list archives

FC: More on FTC commissioners and the odds of new privacy laws

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:45:00 -0700

If one were to read a little into this, it would be tempting to conclude that the FTC now has three of five commissioners -- a majority -- in favor of taking a laissez-faire approach towards regulating the private sector's data collection practices. This would be a dramatic change from May 2000, when a majority insisted the agency needed more authority from Congress (http://www.politechbot.com/p-01180.html). The third commissioner I'm thinking of is, of course, chairman Tim Muris, a law and econ scholar who has argued that the Fair Credit Reporting Act was unconstitutional (http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/166424.html) and is said to take a dim view of aggressive new regulations.

More on FTC Commissioner Swindle's views on privacy:
http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=swindle
And an audio interview I did with Swindle a few months ago:

Below message forwarded with permission.

-Declan

*********