Politech mailing list archives

FC: Responses to conservative group lobbies for U.S. mail spying

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 10:27:57 -0400

ATR's Michael Kamburowski wrote in with a reply to a politech message from last week about his group endorsing broader U.S. mail surveillance. You can find his reply (and, in fact, reply to his reply) at:
  http://www.cluebot.com/article.pl?sid=00/09/28/0558214&mode=nested

Another response, from a libertarian:
I wouldn't endorse their solution, but I note that ATR is complaining about
the situation whereby "Customs can and does search almost all mail sent
through private carriers but cannot search most mail sent through the U.S.
Postal Service."  Assuming that's true, it seems an unreasonable burden on
the private sector that is not borne by the government quasi-monopoly
competitor.

-Declan

********