Politech mailing list archives

FC: Response to wacky Y2K buffs and outage conspiracies

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:10:44 -0500

***********

Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:57:51 -0500
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
From: Paul Ferguson <ferguson () cisco com>
Subject: Y2K nonsense

>I am attaching a corrected version of what "Pliney" wrote.  He posted this
>today.  You might want to circulate this corrected version of his comments
>as well.
>
>As you may know, he is describing a kind of Internet problem that was
>predicted.  Which explanation eventually obtains remains to be seen.

Declan,

I can understand how even a smart person (with a PhD, no less)
who has no technical background could propagate incorrect information,
but these recent denial of service attacks are such "high visibility"
incidents that a plethora of technical information abounds.

When you get right down to it, this "Pilney" has no idea, technically,
what he/she is talking about. Even his/her descriptions of no-menacing
technology frobs are incorrect.

This has got to be one of the most asinine conspiracy theories
I have seen, and can be considered no less than an outright
slanderous assault on the character of Cisco Systems, completely
contrary to well established facts and technologies.

Thanks for forwarding this fiction.

Speaking only for myself,

- paul