Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: PCI Compliance Scope

From: David Glosser <david.glosser () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 16:32:16 -0500

just finished a "gap analysis" and our auditor stated that the log
server was in scope as the logs needed to be protected. There's a
dedicated logserver for our in-scope systems.

The auditor was very interested in examining the logs to ensure that
they NOT contain PII/cardholder data. If they did, then we would have
been a BadThing as many other PCI 8and general security) requirements
would have been violated, such as not sending the cardholder data over
the clear, storing of the cardholder data in plain text, etc...