Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Vulnerability scanners don't work

From: "Kevin Reiter" <KReiter () insidefsi net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 11:24:34 -0500

listbounce () securityfocus com wrote:
: Greetings all. I've finished another entry on our blog. This time the
: entry was about why vulnerability scanners do not work. It goes into a
: little bit of detail and is intended for the average reader. My goal
: was to help to educate people about what vulnerability scanning really
: is.
:
: For the record, I did add the email address of this list to my blogger
: so that entries are automatically posted to this list. If anyone is
: against me doing that, or if that is a violation of the list policy
: then please let me know and I'll stick with this method of letting
: people know.  (I'm not sure if it worked hence why I'm writing this
: email).
:
: Anyway, here's the latest entry:
:
: http://snosoft.blogspot.com/2009/01/vulnerability-scanning-doesnt-work.html
:
: As always, comments are more than welcome.
:
:
:       Adriel T. Desautels
:       ad_lists () netragard com
:          --------------------------------------
:
:       Subscribe to our blog
:          http://snosoft.blogspot.com

While I applaud your effort, I object to this for two reasons:

1. It opens the floodgates for every individual or company that has a blog to spam the list(s) every time a new entry
or update is posted.

If people want to subscribe to your blog, that's an individual choice - it shouldn't be forced on people who don't want
to read it, regardless of the content.  Those who choose to subscribe to it know where it is now.  'Nuff said.

2. Since this is tied to your company, I would classify this as "marketing" or "advertising."  I understand that may
not be your intent, but it could be perceived in that manner.

Of course, I could be one of the minority in this, but I still feel this is the wrong approach to getting _you're_
message out to the masses.

~Kevin

This message may contain confidential or proprietary information and is intended solely for the individual(s) to whom
it is addressed.  If you are not a named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail or act
upon the information contained herein.  Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail
by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.