Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability scanners don't work

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 11:03:26 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Adriel T. Desautels wrote:

: Greetings all. I've finished another entry on our blog. This time the
: entry was about why vulnerability scanners do not work. It goes into a
: little bit of detail and is intended for the average reader. My goal was
: to help to educate people about what vulnerability scanning really is.
:
: http://snosoft.blogspot.com/2009/01/vulnerability-scanning-doesnt-work.html
:
: As always, comments are more than welcome.

Hi Adriel,

I would disagree with at least part of what you wrote. I'm not sure if you
are making too broad of a generalization or not considering your wording
carefully. For example:

   "The fact is that vulnerability scanners can not detect vulnerabilities
    unless someone has first identified the vulnerability and created a
    signature for its detection."

This is not fact, this is actually false. Consider two types of
vulnerability scanners, both of which prove this wrong. First, take a more
network-centric vulnerability scanner like Nessus and look at some of the
plugins. While a bulk of them are 'signature' based like you mention,
there are several plugins that are designed to look for general problems
in services such as smtp_overflows.nasl or any of the www_too_long_*.nasl
plugins. Second, consider a vulnerability scanner that is more
application-centric such as AppScan. It will find custom vulnerabilities
in applications such as XSS, SQLi and more, as well as provide you with
the request/response and highlight the portions that indicate the presence
of the vulnerability.

As many have said for years now, it isn't just a matter of "what's best",
it's a matter of "what's best for your org, right now, for the money you
will spend". In some cases, that is throwing a vulnerability scan against
a class B network, something that a pen-test shop can't do in a short
amount of time or inexpensively. Other times it is hiring a quality
pen-test shop to do a three week application test against one web server
running a custom banking application. I think the lesson that you should
be impressing upon readers is that they fully understand the benefits and
limitations of each method for conducting vulnerability scans, and pick
the one that serves their immediate needs.

Overall your post is on par with the sentiment of many people in the
industry, and something that many pen-testing shops try to explain to
(potential) customers. Hopefully your next article goes into depth on why
a really good pen-test shop can still be quite limited and why they still
doesn't always find all of the vulnerabilities present =)

security curmudgeon

disclaimer: i've worked for the type of pen-test shop you describe for
many years, and i currently work for a security product company that makes
a vulnerability scanner among other things. my opinions are my own.